Create custom fields on projects
Custom fields enable you to tailor the way your projects work for your unique business or operation.
With custom fields, you can:
- Create custom form fields that go into individual project details
- Automatically apply custom fields to projects of a certain type
- Manually add and remove custom fields on projects
In this article, you'll find:
- How to create and manage all of your custom fields in your account
- What happens when a custom field is deleted
- Types of custom fields you can create
- Using custom fields on projects
- Automatically pre-loading custom fields onto projects using project types
Create and manage your custom fields
To manage your custom fields, use the navigation at the top, then go to Account Settings > Fields.
Here you can create new custom fields, which will be available for use on any project in your account. Once created, you can edit or delete them from your account as well.
Deleting custom fields
When you delete a custom field from your account, it will be removed from any project types that preload that custom field on projects (more on preloading custom fields below).
However, if a project already has a custom field added it to, deleting the custom field from Account Settings > Fields will not delete it (or its saved value) from your projects. You can think of the custom fields in your account settings as templates and the custom fields seen on your projects as instances (or copies) made from those templates. Deleting a custom field from Account Settings > Fields only deletes the template.
To delete a custom field (and any saved value on that field) from a project, visit the project details, then open the "Fields" dropdown, and uncheck that custom field, then confirm deletion.
Custom Field Types
As of this writing, the following types of custom fields can be created:
- Text - A basic one-line text input field
- Rich text - A longer field that has formatting options (bold, italic, bullet and numbered lists, links, etc.). You can also drag images, or embeddable videos (such as YouTube, Wistia, Loom, etc.) into rich text fields.
- Select dropdown - A dropdown with several selectable options. You must define at least one option. You can (optionally) set one of the options to be selected by default.*
- Radio buttons - A set of radio buttons with several selectable options. You must define at least one option. You can (optionally) set one of the options to be selected by default.*
* If a custom field with selectable options has one option selected by default, then when this field is applied to a project, then that value will be saved on the project immediately.
Using Custom Fields on Projects
When viewing a single project's "Details" tab, you will see a "Fields" dropdown near the top. This is where you can customize which fields are shown, and which custom fields are included on the current project.
By default, a project has several "Default fields", which come loaded on all projects. You have the option to hide these fields from view if you don't need them. To hide one, just uncheck it from Fields dropdown.
Below that, you'll see your list of "Custom Fields", which you've created at Account Settings > Fields. Click any field from this list to apply it to this project—effectively making a copy of that field to an instance on this project. To remove it from the project, uncheck it from this list. You will be prompted to confirm deletion of the field and any value that may have been saved on it.
Automatically Pre-loading Fields on Projects
You can automatically pre-load custom fields onto projects within a particular board. To do this, you can edit a board's settings.